Popped Amaranth Breakfast Cereal
You don't need any fancy tools in order to pop amaranth. You don't even need oil! It's a very simple and easy. Popping amaranth just requires a few regular kitchen tools to get started.
- Deep and wide sauce pan or deep sauté pan with a lid
- Wooden spoon
- Tablespoon measurer
- Hot pads
- Dry amaranth
Once you have a batch of popped amaranth you have many culinary options in which to put them to use! I enjoy popped amaranth most as a cereal and in place of rice puffs in a whole foods energy bar. I love crunchy textures...so I just start adding the popped amaranth to everything. Simply get creative!
- Make POPPED AMARANTH CEREAL and serve with plain yogurt or nut milk.
- Add crunch to salad with a 1-2 tablespoons popped amaranth.
- Stir popped amaranth into a pancake mix to increase nutrient density.
- Use in place of popped rice in homemade granola bars/energy balls.
1. World's Healthiest Foods. http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=231. Accessed April 19, 2016.
2. Whole Grains Council. http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/amaranth-may-grain-of-the-month-0. Accessed April 19, 2016.