First I want to welcome everyone (friends, family, and kind strangers) that has decided to party-take in this wonderful 6-week nutrition challenge! REfreshME! is designed to fit every diet preference, whether omnivore, vegan, or vegetarian-so make this program fit you! The next 6 weeks will be an exciting adventure together filled with a ton of information and healthy tips and tricks to take with you forever. If you have any questions or comments please do not hesitate to email me or comment below.
First comes water, then comes food!
- Elimination of toxins and waste
- Brain Function
- Body temperature regulation
- Cell and tissue structure
- Optimal digestion and absorption
- Joint lubrication
- High fiber diet
- High intensity workouts
- High altitudes
How to remember:
Although water is so wonderful, I know it can be hard to remember to drink it throughout your day.
Most importantly you have to make yourself reminders in order to make it a habit. Put an alarm on your phone or carry your water bottle with you to work. If you see it you will drink it! I love my Ball mason jar with a straw top. It's perfect to have around the home or at the office.
How to make water tasty:
Water only comes as pure simple water. Some people love it, some need to add a little pizzazz to keep the water flowing. Below you will find some tips and tricks to help boost your water intake.
- EAT MORE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES (they are 74-96% water!)
- Fruits high in water (>90%): watermelon, grapefruit, strawberries, cantaloupe
- Vegetables high in water (>95%): radish, lettuce, zucchini, cucumber
- DRINK MORE TEA!
- Herbal: peppermint, echinacea, chamomile, ginger, rooibos, etc.
- Other: green, white, oolong, black, chai, yerba mate, etc.
- UPON WAKING DRINK A GLASS OF LEMON WATER!
- I do this EVERY morning! This routine not only helps rehydrate the body after a long nights sleep, it also stimulates digestion.
- Read more about the wonderful benefits of lemon water here.
- DRINK INFUSED WATERS!
- Infused water offers more vitamins and minerals than just pure water.
- Cut up your favorite fruit, vegetables, and/or different herbs and place into your water!
- See below for a simple, refreshing recipe.
- MAKE SMOOTHIES
- Choose fruits and vegetables high in water.
- Add your favorite milk of choice (dairy, nut-milk, grain-milk)
- Add in a splash of coconut water.
- USE SPARKLING WATER!
- Infuse with fruits, veggies, and herbs.
- Top a glass of sparkling water with a splash of fresh squeezed juice.
Swap sugar-sweetened beverages for water!
Along with increasing filtered water intake, reducing or eliminating beverages that contain added refined sugars will be a HUGE step forward towards optimal health. Most sugar-sweetened beverages do not offer any health boosting nutrition, just empty calories found in refined sugar! Try to eliminate or significantly reduce the following beverages during this challenge and hopefully thereafter.
- Sodas and other “soda-like” beverages
- Monster, Red Bull, or other energy drinks
- Syrup sweetened espresso drinks
- Limit alcohol to 3 glasses per week
- If drinking only opt for wine or beer to limit sugar intake
- Keep alcohol with meals
Some other names for sugar include: cane sugar, cane syrup, dehydrated cane juice, evaporated cane juice, cane juice crystals, cane juice solids, high fructose corn syrup, glucose solids, maltose, dextrose
What about diet beverages?
Although the FDA has approved several types of non-caloric sweeteners, diet beverages are far from being an ideal method of hydration. Just recently a research study released in the journal Nature suggested that the consumption of non-caloric sweeteners directly impacts the gut bacteria of mice and humans. As you will find out in week 4 of this challenge, the health of our gut bacteria plays a vital role in the overall health of an individual. Although, they were only specifically studying saccharin (Sweet N’ Low), I would recommend avoiding all non-caloric sweeteners.
Take it by the horns and make it yours! Remember to print, download, and track on the REfreshME! Challenge Tracker to keep yourself accountable and motivated. Share your recipe inspirations, challenges, success with me @poppiesandpapayas and #refreshme2015.
Weekly Recipe Inspiration:
Note: You can alter this recipe any which way you like. Try cucumbers, basil, and, mint, or add some fresh ginger for extra spice.
KEEP ME POSTED WITH ALL YOUR FAVORITE WAYS TO STAY HYDRATED! #refreshme2015 @poppiesandpapayas
- Clean our your refrigerator if you have not already :)
- Clean out your pantry. Throw out any outdated foods that have been long forgotten, as well as any foods you know will not support you in this journey.
- Stock up on your favorite organic fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains.
2. Kleiner SM. Water: An essential but overlooked nutrient. JADA. 1999;99:200-206.
3. Jequier E, Constant F. Water as an essential nutrient: the physiological basis of hydration. EJCN. 2010;64:115-123.